Nov 11, 2005

You can’t be serious?

From the Monster Blog.

Ever get the feeling your commute is sucking the life out of you? According to the US Census Bureau, Americans spend more than 100 hours commuting to work each year — 20 hours more than most workers take for vacation. My commute is only 25 minutes, which isn’t too bad, but sometimes I wish I could just be beamed to work.


As I get older I find the whole commuting thing to be very draining. Often, the commute can be somewhere between three and four hours total. It wouldn’t be so bad if there it were simple but, it’s a three legged monster usually (drive, commuter train, subway) any segment of which can throw the whole experience out of kilter.

On the flip side, I only know of one person who actually lived in the building where he worked (and that was Brian). I wouldn’t do it. There has to be a separation between work and home. Sure, four hours roundtrip is way too much but, being in the building leads to a whole breaking down of boundaries that can’t be good in the long run. I think you need time away from the job. As a matter of fact, I think there is a dangerous trend in the country today to confuse work with life, the two are and should be two very separate entities.

One of the things I’ll be looking to change is the whole commute dynamic in the coming months. When I’ve worked third shift, the commute home has been a very palatable 35 to 40 minutes but that’s been around 3 in the morning when no one is on the road and I can drive to and from work. If I’m working the 9 to 5 thing, that (driving - no train) just doesn’t work.

No comments: